National Child Abuse Prevention month is honored during the month of April. “In 2008, Prevent Child Abuse America introduced the pinwheel as the new national symbol for child abuse prevention through Pinwheels for Prevention®. What our research showed, and what our experiences since then have borne out, is that people respond to the pinwheel. By its very nature, the pinwheel connotes whimsy and childlike notions. In essence, it has come to serve as the physical embodiment, or reminder, of the great childhoods we want for all children.” (http://www.preventchildabuse.org/p4p-menu)
During April New Hope’s goal is to provide opportunities for families, individuals, and organizations/businesses to recognize this month and create awareness around the topic of abuse. New Hope is excited about this year’s events and is grateful to the community partners that are joining us in this endeavor. As April nears please keep a watchful eye for the blue pinwheel gardens and up-dates on local events. We hope that you will join us in our effort!
- Friday, April 1st 5-8 pm Hope to Harmony Kids Fair at Camp Montvale–Canceled due to the potential of rain!
- Tuesday, April 5th 7 pm Hands Off: Healthy Boundaries in Blount County at Vienna Coffeehouse (a panel discussion regarding abuse and trauma in Blount County)
- Thursday, April 7th 6-8 pm Stewards of Children (child sexual abuse seminar) at Pellessippi Community College Blount County Campus in the West Chevrolet Auditorium
- Tuesday, April 12th 6-8 pm Stewards of Children (child sexual abuse seminar) at 1st Baptist Church of Maryville
- Monday, April 25th 4-6 pm Stewards of Children (child sexual abuse seminar) at Blount County Schools Central Office
- Buttermilk Pie “Pie it Forward” fundraiser at the Farragut location during the whole month of April
For more information please call the New Hope office at 865-981-2000 or email email@example.com